Monday, March 2, 2009

DJ Juli Ruin's Trainwreck: Mixtape Tribute

Trainwreck- Monday March 2, 4-5 p.m. Listener spike: 4. This show was dedicated to the handful of amazing mixtapes I've received in the past. Not in a lovey-dovey way but in a "yes, those songs kicked ass" sort of way. All tracks were pulled from said mixes.

"Mat Mix," received in 2006 as part of Mix Tape Club formerly held at The Greenhouse, Arcata:
Menomena- Wet and Rusting
Unknown
Casiotone For The Painfully Alone- When You Were Mine
Xiu Xiu- Vulture Piano
Schneider TM vs. Kpt. Michigan- The Light 3000

"Mixtape by David," received at said Mix Tape Club when I arrived too late my freshman year, 2005. Never met David but I've started every roadtrip I've taken for the last 4 years with this mix:
Royksopp- So Easy
Reindeer Section- Raindrop
Momus- Akiko Masuda
Erland Oye- Every Party Has A Winner And A Loser
The Standells- Why Pick On Me
The Troggs- A Girl Like You

"Happy Strange Pop Mix For Dreary School Work Days," this was a mix I received second-hand when a visting Canadian friend and the mix's creator, Jordaan, left it in my car stereo. Thank god he did:
Unknown
Brian Wilson- Do You Like Worms
Screamin' Jay Hawkins- I Put A Spell On You

"Happy Birthday, Julia!" This was the only birthday gift I received on my 16th birthday while away at a summer art school in LA. Made by the aformentioned Jordaan, this was the first mix I'd ever received. Sparked the interest in music that consumes me today:
Sonic Youth- Bull In The Heather
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Tick
Interpol- PDA
Elliot Smith- Alameda

1 comment:

  1. Dude. I was glancing through playlists, observing how many artists I would recognize. This one melted my music ego down a bit.

    ReplyDelete